Sunday, 27 December 2015

M-J's Spätzle-Chicken Soup


I chopped some red onion, celery and carrots, and sautéed them in olive oil. I added the other usual ingredients: chicken bits and a lot of bouillon, then a few cups of homemade spätzle that I had stored in the freezer. I created more flavour with red peppercorns and dried parsley. Similar soups appear on the web. This is my own version of chicken soup with dumplings--tiny ones called spätzle that are nutritious and slightly al dente. My mother, Lorraine, introduced me to this nutritious pasta named after sparrows. It is traditional fare in Alsace-Lorraine, Switzerland and Bavaria. There are many delicious ways to serve this economical ingredient, including with haricots verts and bacon, with walnut pesto, and with cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
Click Here to Read M-J's Main Website, Elegant Survival