Monday, 28 April 2008

Goya's Ghosts

Above: Don Manuel Osorio de Zuñiga, by Goya

We've just seen the 2006 movie, Goya's Ghosts, by Milos Forman. It is very well-done, historically accurate, and tasteful in its portrayal of the Spanish Inquisition, and its effects on the life of Don Francisco de Goya y Lucientes, popularly known as Goya. It is a tragic story, about which I shall not comment here, because the film, Goya's Ghosts, is a voyage of discovery, and I avoid spoiling the adventure for prospective viewers. Now that Goya's Ghosts is available on Pay-per-View, your chances of seeing it are good. For more than a year, I attempted to purchase it.
Here is a video about it Goya's Ghosts
Francisco de Goya y Lucientes is my favorite painter. In the late 1980s, I saw a show of his political drawings at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Through watching this film, I discovered more about just what a fine person he was: an altruistic, humane gentleman.